Dr. Sebi’s diet is based on the theory that all diseases are the result of an imbalance in the body’s cell tissue. He believed that by eating the right foods and avoiding those that contain toxins, the body could heal itself.
What are the eight rules of Dr. Sebi’s diet?
1. Only consume living and raw foods: Raw food is uncooked food that has not been processed. Food can be raw when it is fresh (or close to fresh) and has not been exposed to heat above 118°F (48°C).
2. Only consume plant-based foods: These include but are not limited to vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. Dr. Sebi believes that consuming animal products creates an acidic environment in the body, which is the perfect breeding ground for disease.
3. Eat various foods: The Dr. Sebi diet is based on the philosophy that we should only eat natural and alkaline foods. This means eating various natural fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes. There are no processed foods or artificial ingredients allowed in this diet.
4. Avoid all animal products: No meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs, or honey. There are a few exceptions to this rule. You can eat sea vegetables, tofu, tempeh, soybeans, quinoa, amaranth, and a few others. These foods are considered complete proteins, containing all the essential amino acids your body needs. You can also eat nuts and seeds, like almonds, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Just be sure to avoid peanuts, as they are a legume.
5. Avoid processed foods: One of Dr. Sebi Diet’s central tenets is avoiding processed foods. These foods have been altered from their natural state and often contain harmful chemicals and additives. Processed foods are typically high in sugar, salt, and fat and can be very damaging to your health.
6. Avoid refined sugars: This means no agave, no honey, no maple syrup, no cane sugar, no beet sugar, no brown sugar, and no artificial sweeteners. You also want to avoid starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes, and yams. You can have small amounts of natural sugars like dates, figs, and berries.
7. Avoid refined grains: Avoid refined grains, such as white bread and white rice, as well as processed foods. These foods have been stripped of their nutrients and fiber and can cause blood sugar levels to spike. Instead, choose whole grains, such as brown rice and quinoa, and aim for at least three servings of vegetables per day.
8. Avoid chemical additives: The Dr. Sebi Diet is based on believing that the body needs natural, unadulterated foods to function correctly. This means avoiding processed and refined foods, as well as chemical additives.
What items are prohibited in Dr. Sebi’s diet?
There are several items that are prohibited in Dr. Sebi’s diet, including meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, fish, shellfish, Friedman, white sugar, artificial sweeteners, bleached flour, and processed foods.
What Are The Benefits of Dr. Sebi’s diet?
The benefits of Dr. Sebi’s diet are many and varied. Perhaps the most significant benefit is that it can help to cleanse and detoxify the body. This is because Dr. Sebi’s diet focuses on eating alkaline foods, which are very effective at cleansing and detoxifying the body. Additionally, Dr. Sebi’s diet can also help to boost energy levels, improve digestion, and even help to reduce stress levels.
Is It Safe?
There is no scientific evidence to support Dr. Sebi’s claims about his diet’s safety and efficacy. Furthermore, some of the foods he recommends are potentially harmful, such as raw fruits and vegetables, which may contain harmful bacteria. If you consider following the Dr. Sebi Diet, please speak with a healthcare professional first.
The Bottom Line
The Dr. Sebi diet is a nutritious, well-rounded diet that can be beneficial for some people. Speaking with a healthcare professional before starting any new diet, especially if you have a chronic health condition, is essential.